Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Grilled steak and veggies


Pretty simple meal tonight, but still delicious!  I bought my new favorite cut of steak, flat iron.  It is a really nice steak with good flavor, I guess that is why it is sometimes called the butchers cut. :-)

First thing I did was put the steak in a 1 gallon ziplock.  Poured in some worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.  I didn't measure, sorry.  Leave it on the counter and promptly ignore.

Cut up some organic red & yellow peppers and baby bella mushrooms...toss with grape seed oil & kosher salt.  Place on a medium hot grill:

Put the steak on the grill and cook for about 6 minutes per side (depending on how hot your grill is - mine was cooler than I thought).  I don't think it looks that appetizing raw, but I thought you may still want to see it.

Let the steak rest...lets talk about that for a bit.  Resting meat before cutting it is really important.  You would be surprised how much difference this will make in your final product.  Much more juicy. Keep in mind, the bigger the meat the longer the rest.  Chicken breast or steak, rest around 4 minutes is good.  A whole turkey, rest like 15.  

When you cut the steak, turn your knife at a 45 degree angle and cut against the grain.  This is not just for making a nice presentation, although it does do that!  It makes the it less tough.  You can do this on most cuts, even chicken.  I think the texture is better.

Veggies can cook anywhere from the 12 or so minutes you have the meat on to close to 20.  This variance depends on if you like any crunch left in them and how much char you like.  


Like I said, very simple meal but really good.  

How about you...what did you make for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment